28 February 2007

And These are The Chapters of My Life...

I know I haven't posted everyday about the work I'm doing in my devotional workbook. Sometimes I just get too busy or I don't have to words to really say what I need too. Today's reflection is about the chapters or segments of my life. It asks how I might divide my life into chapters and where would they begin and end? What would I call them? I'm going to give it my best college try.

These are the chapters that I would divide my life into if I had to do it right now:

0-5: The Exploring Years - These are the years when I was so young that everything seemed huge, shiny, and new to me. They were my initial years of wonder, awe, and learning.

5-9: The Moving Years - All I can recall from these years is a lot of boxes. These were the years we moved back to New Jersey and they seem very unsettled in my memory. I'm not sure why exactly.

9-11: The Chaos Years - I remember these years a being ones of family chaos. If the moving years felt unsettled then these years felt as if I was living on my head. Things in my life and family changed faster than I could change my socks.

11-13: The Calm Years - Two years of utter and total peace. I look back on them and I smile. It was like nothing bad was going to happen in my world, ever.

13-16: The Minnesota Years - It was when I moved here and I think about those years as good years. Nothing major happened but I became more and more settled in Minnesota. I became apart of this land and these people. It was when I knew that I would one day call Minnesota home.

16-18: Depression - I had lost someone I loved very dearly and for about two years I was in some kind of funky depression. My memory sees these years in black and white with lots of rain.

18-22: Hamline High - These were the university years. I went to a college and very much reminded me of high school. There were people who came into my life then who I am very close to still. In many ways these years are like my exploring years. I learned a lot about who I am and what I believe. I made some big decisions about my future during these years.

22-24: The Gainful Employment Years - I actually worked a full time job where I went to work everyday. I took vacations to fun places and I made actual money. All in all these were boring years.

24-28: The K Years - I even labeled my journals from this time as 'The K Years.' I'm still not sure what to make of these years and I have a feeling they are not completely over yet.

The question now is where is God in the movement of these years? I know in more recent years where God is but in some of my earlier years I have a difficult time seeing God. I know that in my 'Depression' years I couldn't see or feel God's presence in my life. I wonder how God has woven in and out of my life over the last 28 years...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.