20 February 2007

Mardi Gras

I went to a Mardi Gras Jazz Vespers last night at University Lutheran Church of the Epiphany. It's next/on Saint Cloud State University campus. I know Mardi Gras is french for, Fat Tuesday and that it refers to the practice of eating up what were considered luxury foods like pancakes and doughnuts. I mean after three years of Moonlight Pancake Suppers at Andover Newton I've learned that much. I didn't know what the Mardi Gras colors meant.

Green for faith
Gold for power
Purple for justice

Pablo Neruda used to write his poems in green ink because it's also the color of esperanza...hope.

During the service we said a litany of celebration words and I wanted to share them with all of you and I hope they stir and inspire you like they inspired me.

In the presence of God, whose word had called the earth and the stars into being,
We stand in awe!
In the presence of God, whose arms carry children,
We stand in trust!
In the presence of God, whose breath has stirred within us and caused our hearts to thirst for justice and peace,
We stand in need!
Before you, O God, giver of live, we come in faith, in celebration, in search of love and justice, mercy and wholeness,
O God, be with us and hear us.

Tomorrow we begin the dark, deep, and serious journey into Lent but for tonight celebrate. We celebrate that God is a God of life and calls us to live, to live deeply and profoundly. I would say that's cause for celebration.

No comments: