25 February 2007

Oh, The Things I Have Done

Day 4 of my Journey into myself. Sometimes I love being introspective it feels so arrogant and conceited. So...still on the road to finding home as well as me (I spend a lot of time looking for me.) Today's question is about "What I did", the activities that most absorbed me during those years, like school, work, family, friends, sports, and "Major Life Events," being key personal events like graduation, births and deaths, moves.

I guess I'll start backwards and do some of my major life events. I mentioned before that my family likes to move or liked to move as the case maybe. Since coming to Minnesota we have been really settled. Now I'm the one who does all the moving. I loved living Warwick, my parents tell me that I never forgave them for that move and maybe they are right. My mom and I were talking the other day and she mentioned she hasn't seen me as happy as I am in a very long time. Maybe because Saint Cloud in many ways reminds me of Warwick. After a time it doesn't matter any more that you move. And for the record I think I forgave my parents when we moved to Minnesota. My family has done well here together. Other major life events for me are when my father stopped drinking, when my sister went off to rehab, graduation from high school, graduation from university, moving to Boston for seminary, and moving back from Boston this past May. My move back was the first move I did on my own. I even drove it alone. This past year has been difficult for my family. There have been several deaths in my family including my mom's younger brother. My father had a series of small strokes. I began a year long CPE program. I would say that 2006 as a whole was a key personal event.

As for things I've done, well, I'm relatively young and I haven't changed the world yet but I am working on that. I've spent a lot of time in school.

Preschool - 2 years
Elementary - 6 years (counting Kindergarten)
Middle School - 3 years
High School - 4 years
College - 4.5 years
Seminary 3.5 years

Grand total - 23 years and 105K (in debt that is)

At least I can say I've done something. I'm still not sure what it is but its something. Elementary school is hazy at best but I remember middle school. We moved in while I was in middle school. I guess elementary and early middle school was about when my house of cards came crashing down in New Jersey. The one thing I do recall from New Jersey is softball. High school sucked as only high school can. I spent high school trying to be someone I'm not, OK not that I really know who I am all the time but I spent it trying to fit in to some group that I never wanted to be apart of. If the word "poser" had been popular when I was in high school that's what I would have been. What I remember most about high school is working. Do you want fries with that? I worked from the time I was 15. I don't know what it means not to work. University is where I made my first set of really good friends, you know the ones who have seen you barely dragging your butt and they love you and stick by you anyway. When I moved to Boston my family relationships got better (1500 miles will do that), and I began taking apart my life in a very systematic way and then putting it all back together. I've done some cool things along the way but I think that the best is yet to come.

What event is the worst or the best? What made me saddest or happiest? I don't know. I may be too integrated to answer that honestly. What I can say is that every event has made me into who I am today and I may not always reconise the person I see in the mirror, I do love her and I think that she is capable of amazing things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where did you go to seminary in Boston? (Subtext of question: Should I know exactly who you are, as I too went/am going to school in Boston. Of course, there are quite a few seminaries . . . )