02 March 2007

Friday Five...A Ministry of Creativity

Today's Friday Five is brought to us by the letter R...ReverandMother that is. She says:

During Lent here at Suburban Presbyterian Church, we are exploring the creative and liturgical arts, with classes and speakers dealing with storytelling, iconography, dance, visual art, writing, and so on. The theme is "A Beautiful Thing," inspired by the story of the woman anointing Jesus and his declaration that "She has done a beautiful thing for me." (Mark 14, NIV) We are working on the notion that everything we do can be considered a beautiful thing--a creative offering to God--whether it's gardening or scrapbooking or accounting or sorting clothes at the clothes closet or child-rearing. And so:

1. Would you call yourself "creative"? Why or why not? I would call myself creative but not "artsy." Like many people I had the third grade art teacher who told be I was hopeless at painting and drawing. I am creative in my use of words and ideas. I guess I'm verbally and intellectually creative. I am creative in how I structure and implement worship. I'm a very creative cook, sometimes too creative. Some of my cooking creations can border on frighting.

2. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you currently do that you'd like to develop further. I am currently working on using PowerPoint and other multimedia in worship formats, as well as in didactic presentations. I would love to become more adept and using PowerPoint, and other programs, in a more creative fashion. Like adding music tracks to them.

3. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you have never done but would like to try. Watercolor painting. I've never done it. I guess I felt so defeated by my third grade teacher that I never really took art. I took art history instead. I would love to learn how to paint using watercolors. The way artists can make the color very vibrant or more washed out is something that is very pleasing to my eye. I would also like to learn how to relax. The art of doing nothing. I'm very much a Martha and I guess I sort of envy Mary (not that Mary was doing nothing.)

4. Complete this sentence: "I am in awe of people who can _____________." Play the piano. I am also in awe of people who can knit and have a conversation at the same time.

5. Share about a person who has encouraged your creativity, who has "called you to your best self." (I'm pretty sure that's from the Gospel of Oprah.) Katherine. She always encourages my creative use of verbal expression but she also taught me how to put colors together in my wardrobe. She continues to encourage me to put colors together that I never thought would match but look great. She also brought out the creative expression of accessories. When in doubt find a scarf that ties it all together.

5 comments:

chartreuseova said...

Clothing is one area I have no creativity.

Guess I need a Katherine. But she'd probably have to make me buy some new clothes and accessories with color because my wardrobe is quite drab.

Anonymous said...

You're right, doing nothing is a lost art these days.

Michelle said...

I like using digital photographs with the words on PowerPoint. In Duluth, Lake Superior photos or the Canal Park Bridge are especially good. I think differently now when I take pictures; I am imagining using them in worship.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I assent to but I about the brief should prepare more info then it has.