31 January 2007

All You Need Is Love...and a Visa Card

Love. That's the word that keeps coming up again and again for me lately. This past Sunday it was 1 Corinthians 13 and the love passage. The one that will NOT be read at my wedding. That is if I ever have a wedding. Then everyone at the VA...OK a few of the veterans...have been talking nonstop about V-Day coming up. Talking about buying roses for their wives and going to a fancy dinner. In bible study today we talked about Jesus asking us to love our neighbor. Then I open my news paper this evening and I read, "Love doesn't make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

Now I love the idea of love but I'm not so sure about it's praticical applications. It seems to have a short shelf life. It seems sort of flaky to me. I have this theory that people equate love with passion and those are not similar ideas in my book. Passion is something that can fade and die but love, well it never ends. Modern ideas of love seem too commercial for me. I don't want roses or candy. I want someone to listen when I talk and who is willing to wash the dishes with me and fold the laundry. Love...love is someone remembering to bring you a cold ice tea on a hot day.

So tell me all of you who (all three of you) who read this...what is your idea of love and am I just jaded at the young age of 28.

1 comment:

zebrafeet said...

you know my stance. love is a 4 letter word. messes with your emotions. makes me miserable. and i'm with you over the stupid love passage. i did convince my grandmother that it is a great funeral passage as a celebration of a life that spans 90+ years (ok, it wasn't her that needed convincing, it was the rest of the family)